The First Assembly of God church of Wilmington, under the leadership of Pastor Paul Boyer, founded Wilmington Christian School in 1946. For several years there had been a desire for the congregation to establish such a school for the education of the children of the church families.
The church board, serving as the school board as well, organized the school and made the provision for classes in the new Sunday school annex at the 1031 Fries Avenue location. There were approximately eighty students in the opening year.
The school continued at this site for two years. Under the leadership of Pastor T. T. Ward, property was purchased on Frigate Avenue and construction on the first unit of four rooms, offices, and restrooms began.
In 1953, two more rooms were added. A new unit of construction was added in 1960, containing two classrooms, a kitchen, and new offices. Two new land acquisitions were made, totaling three and one-half acres of choice property.
Desiring to bring the school closer to the church, Wilmington Christian School was relocated in September 1992 to its current location across from the church.